Packaging and the Environment

As an ethical business and consumer, I’m very cautious about the products I purchase; especially packaging.

This blog post seeks to anticipate and answer some of your questions about the packaging I use, especially in preparation for some new product releases coming out this year and next.

When I began soap making nearly 10 years ago, we were in much less enlightened times, especially about the plastic waste problem we have globally. It was pretty naïve, but I genuinely assumed that most people were like me - avoiding excessive packaging, carefully recycling and that our councils were actually recycling what was put in our recycling bin.  But as we’ve sadly found out, plastic waste is a massive global problem and our world leaders have no clue how to or any inclination on how to solve it.

It’s only been in the last, say five years that eco-friendly packaging options have become available for small and micro businesses like mine so while I’m regretful about previous choices, I’m excited about a future where recycled, recyclable or biodegradable packing materials are accessible to artisan brands like mine.

Before I closed up in 2013, I bulk bought many of my packaging materials such as shrink bags, lip balm tubes and portion cups for soy wax melt pods. This was in preparation for a busy Christmas season which never eventuated because I took another job interstate and had to move very quickly at short notice.

Having these materials now, they have already been made and rather than throw them out or on-sell them (which just transfers the problem), it makes logical sense to use the materials I have, and once used up, switch to more eco-friendly options. Once they’re made, they’re made and there’s no going back so rather than hide the problem, I wanted to explain why I have these materials on hand. I wanted to be transparent about this and communicate my long-term goals with you so that you know the history and my environmental commitments.

Here’s some specific detail about the packaging materials I’m using now and what I’ll be switching to.


PVC Shrink bags 

Glycerin Soap is an amazing creative outlet for me and can be cast into an infinite amount of colours, shapes and sizes. With glycerin being a humectant (draws moisture from the air) when unwrapped, it can get sweaty and beaded during high humidity, such as when it rains for days on end. That’s no problem for home use when it’s sitting in a soap dish but it’s not possible to leave it unwrapped until you want to use it, especially if it’s being bought for a gift. Wrapping also protects it during shipping and in retail environments where handling is going occur and hygiene is a factor. It’s also important just for the product waiting to be bought. I keep minimal stock on hand but even the cleanest rooms will have dust floating around so once a soap has set, I wrap it so it stays fresh and clean.

How to recycle

Collect soft plastic like shrink bags and return to a REDcycle collection bin at your nearest Coles or Woolworths store. If your store doesn’t have these bins, ask them to install them or try your local shopping centre back loading dock. Many large centres have soft plastic recycling skip bins for tenants to use. Sneak it in there!

What I’m switching to

(a) Cellophane bags are derived from cellulose, a plant-based material and are biodegradable in the right conditions. Add it to your compost system. Just make sure it gets turned regularly. That’s the key to effective composting; oxygen!
(b) Biolefin Biodegradable Shrink Film. This is my blue skies goal! It acts like shrink wrap but is biodegradable AND you can even smell the scent through it. Whaaaaat? Amazing right. But, it is a very large financial outlay and I’d have to import a system from the USA so this is a long way off but definitely an option. I’ve even had thoughts of crowdfunding it.

Lip Balm Tubes

Semi-solid wax and oil mixtures need to be contained somehow, so packaging of some sort is a must. Tubes are the most popular storage method because it’s more hygienic to apply and they can be easily carried around with you in your pocket or bag. I also offer pots for the balms with shimmer and while both are recyclable, the pots offer the most obvious re-use properties, such as storing small craft items or jewellery when travelling.

How to recycle

Both the tubes and pots can be placed in your street recycle bins but reuse is still a viable option – there’s a large number of blogs and YouTube videos on refilling your lip balm packaging, even the tubes!

What I’m switching to

(a)    Lip balm tubes made from paperboard and a wax coating inside
(b)    Conventional lip balm tubes but made from recycled plastic (this wasn’t available back in 2013)
(c)    Aluminium or glass pots

Each option has its own limitations so it’s likely I’ll stock options in each category to ensure a hygienic and safely stored product.

Soy Wax Melts Pods

These are little containers with a lid that holds a small amount of fragranced soy wax for use in fragrance warmers or oil burners. These were very hard to find back in the day, so I’d bought portion cups instead; basically, the ones you get condiments in with takeaways. What I had in stock has now been used up and I won’t be replacing them with more plastic once sold out.

How to recycle

These can be placed in the street recycling bin.

What I’m switching to

(a)    Soy wax melts will be made from tart moulds or in cookie trays, such as the brittle style melts
(b)    If recycled plastic pots or clamshells become available, I would consider that option as well

Note: back in the day, I had faith that our local councils actually recycled our waste but as we’ve all become more aware of the overwhelming problem with waste. It’s important to be aware not every council is actually recycling like we believe them to be. Case and point, my local council has stopping recycling glass. GLASS. I mean, WTF. So weirdly enough for me, plastic and aluminium are actually more recyclable in my local area. If you’re really passionate about the environment, I encourage you to find out what your local council recycles and what they don’t because it might impact your shopping choices. And as always, with any product purchase in your life, remember the four R’s -  refuse, reduce, reuse and recycle

I’ve you’ve made it this far, thank you! Please feel free to reach out if you’d like any more information about the packaging I’m using or intending to use in the future.



Popular posts from this blog

Have you checked out Juniper Moon yet?

It's time to celebrate our Facebook Fans!