The plight of the highly distractible

I doubt I'm alone here but I still have to say it....I think I'm one of the easiestly distractible people on the planet BUT only when it comes to my own business. If you give me a task in any other area of my life, I'm on it and I follow through but when it comes to running a business, I find it extremely hard to stay focused.

For example, I sat down 3 hours ago to prepare the newsletter for next week (it's a sale one, oooher!) and somehow that evolved into writing a blog post but before I even began writing, I was playing with the font, layout and general appearance of the blog. Something I'd been meaning to do for two months. Searching for a decent set of social media icons (especially ones that include Pinterest) somehow became part of that equation as well. When I realised my distraction, I then visited Fishpond and bought two books on running a craft business/setting yourself goals/staying on track etc. Apparently self awareness = throw money at it. All up, I've spent maybe an hour doing what I set out to do and the other two hours have been swallowed up by important but not time-budgeted for tasks.

On reflection, I think this is more common than it sounds. Running a business on your own means that you are everything to your business. My quick job tally comes to:

  • Customer Service
  • Administration
  • Web Design
  • Product Design
  • Social Media
  • Finance & Accounting
  • Manufacturing
  • Product Development
  • Mail Room
  • Research & Development
  • Ingredient Sourcing 
I'm sure there's more but I've been working for at least 10 hours today all ready (my day off, LOL) so my brain has reached that unreliable, fuzzy point. 

One second thought, this blog post was meant to be a bit of a Greazefest wrap up but I got sidetracked.

SEE WHAT I MEAN?

Lots of giggles,

Aliya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you checked out Juniper Moon yet?

It's time to celebrate our Facebook Fans!