Good soap dish vs bad soap dish

I was out shopping the other day for, among other things, a new soap dish. I was looking and looking and actually found quite a few. They all looked nice but unfortunately, I knew from experience that they weren't actually suitable for holding a wet cake of soap.

Why is that you ask?

Well they were all flat, or worse still, bowl shaped! There were no ridges or grates or holes to help get air flow to the soap and prevent it from turning into a jelly-like mess.

And then it hit me, soap gets such a bad name by the liquid soap crowd and I think badly designed soap dishes are mostly to blame! No wonder some people can't be convinced to switch to a good quality bar soap (saving a lot of plastic from landfill mind you) when the only experience they've ever had is a soggy bar of soap that barely lasts more than a week. What an absolute tragedy to think so many people miss out on the tactile bliss of bar soap because they've got the wrong soap dish.

I sympathise though, truly I do. I was on a mission to buy a new soap dish and I couldn't find a decent one, in 3 stores! And I knew exactly what I was looking for; so what hope does the average consumer have in finding a good soap dish?

I did and bit of googling and some great examples of the kinds of features you should look for in a soap dish and the kinds of things you should avoid, or just save for displaying a pretty bar of soap you "can't bear to use".


Brilliant for handmade soap

Key features include raised ridges for better airflow and drainage.








Note - You can get something almost identical to this at Aldi in Australia right now (February 2013). They are under $30 and amazing. Sturdy, great quality, big and the soap section drains! WIN.



Somewhat suitable for handmade soap

These kinds of soap dishes can be used if you can't find anything with more drainage but keep an eye out for better draining ones. I usually save a soap dish like this for a sink that is rarely used for hand washing, giving the bar a better chance to dry out.





Best for display only


Vintage soap dishes are collectable and often super cute but they are usually better for displaying a pretty bar of soap than actually using it due to the common lack of adequate drainage.

















Should be illegal

Most showers have a soap dish tile like this one. Avoid at all costs if you want your soap to last!








Money saving tip! 

When a piece of soap gets a bit too small to use in the shower, I don't throw it away, I use it at the bathroom or kitchen sink for hand washing. Sometimes I can get another couple of weeks or even months use out of it! It just keeps on going :D

*All pictures have been found in random google searches. I haven't added links on purpose, I don't want to seem like I'm favouring certain brands or crafters. These are just my opinions based on experience.


Popular posts from this blog

Have you checked out Juniper Moon yet?